To become certified, candidates must:
- Understand the substance of STAR and the evidence base;
- Know the processes, policies, and structures that support implementation and sustainability of EBRI;
- Maintain fidelity to the STAR training plans and present the information in a clear, concise, accurate, and complete manner;
- Engage and encourage participants by fostering a professional and collaborative environment;
- Facilitate participants' ability to identify and evaluate challenges and solutions in implementing EBRI; and
- Promote capacity-building and sustainability within a state.